Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sauteéd Green Beans

OK, I admit, I'm not a big fan of green beans, but I make these and really like them. Just a note - I kind of cook like my mother, so measurements aren't that important. I believe the most common measurements sometimes are either until it looks right, until it smells right, or until it tastes right. This is one of those recipes. If you are a precision cook, just ignore this recipe totally.

Ingredients:
Butter
Chopped onion (red or yellow)
Minced garlic
Green beans - ends off and cut to your favorite length (fresh is best, but not vital)
3-4 strips of bacon (I use precooked because it's what we have.)
Salt and pepper

Melt butter (you'll need at least 2 Tablespoons) in a sauteé pan on medium heat. Add onions until it looks like the right amount and cook until onions start sweating. Add garlic - I use at least 1 Tablespoon, but I really like garlic. Cook together for about 1 minute. Add the green beans and keep cooking, stirring occasionally. The beans need to cook 5-10 minutes to soften. About 2-3 minutes before the beans are done, add the bacon, salt, and pepper. Cook until the beans are done to your liking.

This makes enough for about 4 when I make it, but as you can tell, it's easily expandable. Just don't make any ingredient too sparse and you will be about right.

No comments: